Holiday Foods That Dogs Should Avoid

It may seem like your dog can and will eat anything. However, many foods that humans enjoy are actually dangerous for your canine companions. During the holiday season, it is a good idea to keep your eye out for foods that could harm your dog or other pets. If you believe your dog has eaten something with toxins in it, get in touch with our veterinarian at North Yonge Veterinary Hospital in Newmarket, Ontario. Let’s take a look at some of the foods that are dangerous for your dogs. Keep in mind, to safeguard your pet’s health and avoid a potential health condition, it is best to stick to pet food throughout the year.

Dangerous Food for Dogs #1: Chocolate (and Anything Else With Caffeine)

First up is chocolate. You may have already heard that chocolate is dangerous for dogs. Caffeine is one of the biggest culprits as far as chocolate is concerned as it is quite dangerous for pets. So keep chocolate, soda, coffee beans, and anything else with caffeine away from your dog.

Dangerous Food for Dogs #2: Hard Candies & Other Sweets

Hard candies are common around Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Unfortunately, these hard candies represent a choking hazard. If the candy has xylitol (a common sweetener) it could also cause liver failure in your pets.

Dangerous Food for Dogs #3: Dairy Products & Especially Eggnog

Many pets are lactose intolerant, at least as far as cow and goat milk is concerned. Dairy could upset your dog’s stomach, leading to a lot of messes. Eggnog is especially bad because it contains a lot of sugar, fat, raw eggs, and potentially alcohol.

Dangerous Food for Dogs #4: Alcohol

Alcohol could make your dog sick, causing tremors, vomiting, and other medical issues. Skip giving your dog beer, wine, or any other type of alcohol as they are basically toxins for dogs.

Veterinary Care in Newmarket, ON

Many special dog treats can be given to your dog during the holidays or whenever your pet has been especially good. All in all, it is best to stick to pet food when feeding your dogs. Many other things, including pork (bacon and ham), onions/chives, and garlic can be bad for your pet. Remember, if your pet has swallowed something dangerous, call our veterinarian at North Yonge Veterinary Hospital at (905) 830-0437 right away.